(855) 851-5000





MEXLAW > Immigration  > Common Questions about Mexican Immigration

Common Questions about Mexican Immigration

We have gathered some of the most common questions we receive from foreigners regarding legal immigration to Mexico.

Do I need to apply for a visa to travel to Mexico?

Contact your local Mexican consulate to keep updated on travel requirements.

The countries listed in this link do not require a visa.


How long can I remain in Mexico on a Visitor’s Permit (FMM) Forma Migratoria Múltiple?

Visitors can stay in Mexico for 180 days; you should advise the immigration officer you would like to stay 180 days, as they may not automatically enter 180 days on your permit.

Can I request an extended stay over 180 days?

No, 180 days is the maximum, after the 180 days you must leave Mexico.

Do I need to keep my half of the Visitors Permit (FMM) given to me on arrival?

Yes, it is important to keep your portion of the permit as you will present it when you leave Mexico.

What do I do if I lose my portion of the FMM?

You will go to the immigration office in town or at the airport and request a new one, you will be charged a fee of approximately 500 pesos for the new permit.

I realize my permit has expired, what process do I need to follow?

Report to the immigration booth at the airport; you will pay a small fine, depending on the number of days it is overdue.  

My 180 days are up; do I need to leave Mexico?

Yes, you will need to leave Mexico; the visitors visa is not renewable in Mexico.

Can I simply leave the country and return with a new visitor permit with another 180 days?

Yes, there is no legal limit or amount of time you must stay out of Mexico before returning.  Many foreigners use this method to avoid applying for residency, but immigration is beginning to monitor this activity and may be inclined to question why you have not applied for residency and even grant you less time on your FFM.

I want to stay in Mexico more than 180 days, how would I proceed?

Consult an immigration specialist to discuss which residency visa suits your situation.

Common residency categories are:

  • Job offer in Mexico
  • Family ties with a Mexican or legal resident
  • Study
  • Investment
  • Retirement
  • Real Estate

Will I have to leave Mexico to proceed with a residency visa?

Yes, you will be interviewed at the Mexican Consulate abroad; at their discretion, the authority will issue a temporary or permanent residence (depending on the consulate).

When I enter Mexico with my interim residence visa, do I need to advise Immigration?

Once you have been approved for your Residence Visa abroad they will stick a temporary permit in your passport,  present this page to Immigration agent upon arrival in Mexico; it is crucial you do not enter as a tourist. You will have 30 days to report to immigration to complete the process.

My spouse is a Mexican citizen how do I apply for residency?

The Mexican spouse would apply in Mexico, and the foreign spouse will attend an interview at the Mexican Consulate abroad, where they will be given an interim visa in order to enter Mexico with the intention of requesting temporary residence, before the Migration Institute.

Does the Temporary Residence include permission to work?

No; only for those who have a job offer.

Renewal of  Temporary Residency

The renewal of the residency is carried out annually (although some are approved for up to three years) before the Immigration Institute in Mexico, meaning you do not need to leave the country. The renewal must be initiated within 30 calendar days before the expiration date.

Permanent Residency

The status of Permanent Resident authorizes the foreigner to stay in Mexico indefinitely with permission to work, with the right to enter and exit Mexico as often as they wish.

How do I qualify for permanent residency?

You may qualify if your status is one of the following;

  • Temporary residence for four continuous years.
  • Temporary residence for two continuous years if you are married to or have family ties with a Mexican.
  • Temporary residence for four continuous years if you have family ties or common-law relationship with a Mexican or foreigner holding permanent residency.
  • You are a descendant of a Mexican national.
  • Your child has Mexican citizenship.
  • Humanitarian issues.
  • Political asylee.
  • Refugee
  • Retiree or pensioner, who is financially solvent, through savings or a monthly pension.
  • By decision of the National Institute of Migration, according to the points system established for this purpose.

What are the primary components for approval of a residence permit?

Employment, financial independence, investments, real estate and family ties.

If I own real estate in Mexico, will I qualify for residency?

Yes, it is possible. Depending on the value of your property, you may be eligible for a temporary or permanent visa. The requirements vary depending on which consulate you visit to initiate your procedure.

I want to open a business in Mexico; can my company employ me?

Yes, as a business owner in Mexico, who wishes to be employed by this business, it is required that you apply for permission to work. Your business will apply for an employer registration at INM (Constancia de empleador), which allows your company to hire foreigners, and in this case, yourself.

Will I qualify for residency through my Mexican corporation?

Once your business has obtained this permission and has been established for at least three months, your company will be able to provide a job offer. With this job offer, you can begin the temporary residency with permission to work visa.

For more information about migrating to Mexico or owning a business in Mexico, send your inquiries to contact@mexlaw.ca

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policity
Cookies settings
Privacy & Cookie policy
Privacy & Cookies policy
Cookie name Active

Privacy Policy

What information do we collect?

We collect information from you when you register on our site or place an order. When ordering or registering on our site, as appropriate, you may be asked to enter your: name, e-mail address or mailing address.

What do we use your information for?

Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways: To personalize your experience (your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs) To improve our website (we continually strive to improve our website offerings based on the information and feedback we receive from you) To improve customer service (your information helps us to more effectively respond to your customer service requests and support needs) To process transactions Your information, whether public or private, will not be sold, exchanged, transferred, or given to any other company for any reason whatsoever, without your consent, other than for the express purpose of delivering the purchased product or service requested. To administer a contest, promotion, survey or other site feature To send periodic emails The email address you provide for order processing, will only be used to send you information and updates pertaining to your order.

How do we protect your information?

We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information when you place an order or enter, submit, or access your personal information. We offer the use of a secure server. All supplied sensitive/credit information is transmitted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology and then encrypted into our Payment gateway providers database only to be accessible by those authorized with special access rights to such systems, and are required to?keep the information confidential. After a transaction, your private information (credit cards, social security numbers, financials, etc.) will not be kept on file for more than 60 days.

Do we use cookies?

Yes (Cookies are small files that a site or its service provider transfers to your computers hard drive through your Web browser (if you allow) that enables the sites or service providers systems to recognize your browser and capture and remember certain information We use cookies to help us remember and process the items in your shopping cart, understand and save your preferences for future visits, keep track of advertisements and compile aggregate data about site traffic and site interaction so that we can offer better site experiences and tools in the future. We may contract with third-party service providers to assist us in better understanding our site visitors. These service providers are not permitted to use the information collected on our behalf except to help us conduct and improve our business. If you prefer, you can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off all cookies via your browser settings. Like most websites, if you turn your cookies off, some of our services may not function properly. However, you can still place orders by contacting customer service. Google Analytics We use Google Analytics on our sites for anonymous reporting of site usage and for advertising on the site. If you would like to opt-out of Google Analytics monitoring your behaviour on our sites please use this link (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/)

Do we disclose any information to outside parties?

We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety. However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.


The minimum information we need to register you is your name, email address and a password. We will ask you more questions for different services, including sales promotions. Unless we say otherwise, you have to answer all the registration questions. We may also ask some other, voluntary questions during registration for certain services (for example, professional networks) so we can gain a clearer understanding of who you are. This also allows us to personalise services for you. To assist us in our marketing, in addition to the data that you provide to us if you register, we may also obtain data from trusted third parties to help us understand what you might be interested in. This ‘profiling’ information is produced from a variety of sources, including publicly available data (such as the electoral roll) or from sources such as surveys and polls where you have given your permission for your data to be shared. You can choose not to have such data shared with the Guardian from these sources by logging into your account and changing the settings in the privacy section. After you have registered, and with your permission, we may send you emails we think may interest you. Newsletters may be personalised based on what you have been reading on theguardian.com. At any time you can decide not to receive these emails and will be able to ‘unsubscribe’. Logging in using social networking credentials If you log-in to our sites using a Facebook log-in, you are granting permission to Facebook to share your user details with us. This will include your name, email address, date of birth and location which will then be used to form a Guardian identity. You can also use your picture from Facebook as part of your profile. This will also allow us and Facebook to share your, networks, user ID and any other information you choose to share according to your Facebook account settings. If you remove the Guardian app from your Facebook settings, we will no longer have access to this information. If you log-in to our sites using a Google log-in, you grant permission to Google to share your user details with us. This will include your name, email address, date of birth, sex and location which we will then use to form a Guardian identity. You may use your picture from Google as part of your profile. This also allows us to share your networks, user ID and any other information you choose to share according to your Google account settings. If you remove the Guardian from your Google settings, we will no longer have access to this information. If you log-in to our sites using a twitter log-in, we receive your avatar (the small picture that appears next to your tweets) and twitter username.

Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance

We are in compliance with the requirements of COPPA (Childrens Online Privacy Protection Act), we do not collect any information from anyone under 13 years of age. Our website, products and services are all directed to people who are at least 13 years old or older.

Updating your personal information

We offer a ‘My details’ page (also known as Dashboard), where you can update your personal information at any time, and change your marketing preferences. You can get to this page from most pages on the site – simply click on the ‘My details’ link at the top of the screen when you are signed in.

Online Privacy Policy Only

This online privacy policy applies only to information collected through our website and not to information collected offline.

Your Consent

By using our site, you consent to our privacy policy.

Changes to our Privacy Policy

If we decide to change our privacy policy, we will post those changes on this page.
Save settings
Cookies settings