(855) 851-5000







Can foreigners buy real estate in Mexico?

Yes, a person of any nationality can legally buy real estate in Mexico. However, to purchase property within the restricted zone, (50 kilometers or 31 miles from the shoreline) foreigners are required to purchase property through a bank trust (fideicomiso) or by establishing a Mexican corporation.

What is the restricted zone in Mexico?

The restricted zone is property within 50 km or 31 miles of Mexico’s coast, or within 100 km or 62 miles of Mexico’s borders.

What is a fideicomiso?

Fideicomiso is a bank trust created in order to comply with the provisions of Article 27 of the Mexican Constitution in which foreigners are limited in acquiring the direct title to the  property in the restricted zone.

How long does it take to complete a fideicomiso?

To request a permit and complete the process may take five to six weeks.

What are some of the details of the fideicomiso?

  • The bank’s name appears on the title as the owner of the property. However, the beneficiary has all the rights over the property, including the right to: sell, rent, renovate, build, etc.
  • The bank cannot sell or dispose of the property without the beneficiary’s written consent.
  • The properties held in trust are not considered an asset of the bank.
  • To establish a trust for a property in the restricted zone, it is necessary to obtain a permit from the Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores (Secretary of Foreign Relations) which has a duration of 50 years and is perpetually renewable or transferable.
  • The beneficiary must pay an annual fee to the bank for the administration of the trust, which, depending on the bank, will be between $500 and $600 USD.
  • If you want to purchase more than one property, you can do it with the same Trust. However administratively speaking the fees are per Property, therefore, each property that you buy would require an additional fee.

Do I need to be a resident to buy property in Mexico?

No, you do not need to be a resident to buy real estate in Mexico.

Can I also purchase property through a Mexican Corporation?

Foreign individuals looking to invest and do business in Mexico can do so through the incorporation of a Mexican Company.

What are the benefits of creating a corporation?

  • A Mexican corporation has the same legal rights as a Mexican Citizen to acquire property anywhere in Mexico, including real estate in the restricted zone, without acquiring through a fideicomiso.
  • The corporation has the potential to be a very lucrative venture by renting out prime vacation property.
  • You can also start a business and receive dividends and tax advantages from your Mexican Corporation.
  • Investing in a Mexican Corporation also provides the required financial data to aid in residence visa applications.

Can foreigners set up a Mexican corporation?

Yes, a Mexican corporation may be 100% owned by foreigners.

What is the time frame to set up a Mexican corporation?

Time will vary, but typically up to three weeks is required to complete the process.

How many properties can be obtained through a Mexican corporation?

There is no limit to how many properties a Mexican corporation may own.

Are there any disadvantages of setting up a Mexican corporation?

The accounting requirements of a corporation can be tedious. Business owners and corporations must report monthly and annual financial activities and file reports as well as conduct annual shareholders meetings.

What should I do before I purchase property?

Consult with a real estate lawyer who will provide a comprehensive and rigorous approach to due diligence, provide an estimate of closing costs, insured escrow services, and Guaranteed Title Deed.

What is the role of the notary public in Mexico?

During the real estate purchase process, the Notario Publico will authenticate all the legal documents, transfer the title, calculate the capital gains tax and ratify all real estate transactions in Mexico. If a real estate transaction was not recorded in the Public Registry by a Notario, it is not valid.

Why do I need a lawyer to purchase property?

A Notario Publico is appointed by the State. They can not advise and consult the parties to a real estate transaction as they could possibly be in a situation of conflict of interest. They can not function as your lawyer. Their job in this situation is to be neutral, as the notary is working for the buyer, the seller, and the government. Therefore it is advisable to hire a lawyer to represent your interests. The lawyer will ensure there is no human errors or omissions and that your property title is registered correctly, review the chain of ownership, ensure the seller has the right to sell, and verify that taxes and utilities have been paid in full.

Hire a law firm that will provide a Title Guaranty and ensure you receive a free and clear title.

Should I use a settlement company or a lawyer during my real estate transaction?

Definitely hire a lawyer; a settlement company does not have any legal training or education. They only act as a referral service by sending the purchaser to a Notario Publico and a Bank Trust without providing any further assistance or advice.  A settlement company cannot provide legal or tax advice, they do not perform due diligence on the property title nor provide a Title Guaranty. Also, as an unregulated service provider, should you have a complaint or a claim to make against them, you will have no recourse other than to sue them in civil court.

Do I need to purchase title insurance?

No! Many foreigners investing in Mexican real estate are led to believe that they will need to purchase title insurance on their prospective property. However, if you choose a reliable, competent law firm to represent you during your real estate purchase, they will carry out all the due diligence, ensuring your title deed is clear before proceeding with closing. Choose a law firm that provides a Title Guaranty on your investment.

Can my real estate agent or the developer hold my funds in escrow?

No! The traditional escrow accounts which are familiar in Canada and the US do not exist in Mexico. Neither Mexican lawyers, the Notario Publico nor real estate agents are authorized to provide escrow services. We recommend hiring an attorney who will provide an insured escrow service from Canada or the US for Mexican transactions.

What type of visas are available in Mexico?

  • Visitor
  • Visitor with permission to perform lucrative activities
  • Visitor without permission to perform lucrative activities
  • Regional visitor
  • Cross-border worker visitor
  • Visa for humanitarian reasons
  • Visitor visa to conduct adoption proceedings
  • Resident
  • Temporary resident
  • Temporary resident student
  • Permanent resident

I am retired and would like to relocate to Mexico, which visa is right for me?

A temporary or permanent residency visa.

  • Temporary allows you to stay in Mexico for up to 4 years.
  • Permanent residency allows you to stay indefinitely.

I would like to work in Mexico, how can I get my work visa?

Your employer will need to begin the process at the immigration office in Mexico, and you must apply in the Mexican consulate in your country.

Why would a foreigner become a Mexican citizen?

  • Residency
  • Their children were born in Mexico
  • Marriage to a Mexican
  • Purchase property in restricted areas without a trust (fideicomiso).
  • The possibility of dissolving your current trust (fideicomiso) and rewrite the title deed in your name.
  • The right to vote in Mexico.
  • No need to inform the National Institute of Immigration (INM) of each change regarding your living and work situation.
  • Avoid the expense of changing your immigration status or renewal fees.
  • Hold a Mexican passport and enjoy reduced wait times for immigration at Mexican airports.
  • Hold dual citizenship.
  • The right to work for any employer in Mexico.

I have residency in Mexico; can I invite my family to live here?

Yes, as a temporary or permanent resident, you can request the entry of:

  • Spouse or common-law spouse
  • Parents
  • Children
  • Spouse or common-law’s children
  • Dependent adult child

Need help with any kind of legal issues?

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policity
Cookies settings
Privacy & Cookie policy
Privacy & Cookies policy
Cookie name Active

Privacy Policy

What information do we collect?

We collect information from you when you register on our site or place an order. When ordering or registering on our site, as appropriate, you may be asked to enter your: name, e-mail address or mailing address.

What do we use your information for?

Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways: To personalize your experience (your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs) To improve our website (we continually strive to improve our website offerings based on the information and feedback we receive from you) To improve customer service (your information helps us to more effectively respond to your customer service requests and support needs) To process transactions Your information, whether public or private, will not be sold, exchanged, transferred, or given to any other company for any reason whatsoever, without your consent, other than for the express purpose of delivering the purchased product or service requested. To administer a contest, promotion, survey or other site feature To send periodic emails The email address you provide for order processing, will only be used to send you information and updates pertaining to your order.

How do we protect your information?

We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information when you place an order or enter, submit, or access your personal information. We offer the use of a secure server. All supplied sensitive/credit information is transmitted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology and then encrypted into our Payment gateway providers database only to be accessible by those authorized with special access rights to such systems, and are required to?keep the information confidential. After a transaction, your private information (credit cards, social security numbers, financials, etc.) will not be kept on file for more than 60 days.

Do we use cookies?

Yes (Cookies are small files that a site or its service provider transfers to your computers hard drive through your Web browser (if you allow) that enables the sites or service providers systems to recognize your browser and capture and remember certain information We use cookies to help us remember and process the items in your shopping cart, understand and save your preferences for future visits, keep track of advertisements and compile aggregate data about site traffic and site interaction so that we can offer better site experiences and tools in the future. We may contract with third-party service providers to assist us in better understanding our site visitors. These service providers are not permitted to use the information collected on our behalf except to help us conduct and improve our business. If you prefer, you can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off all cookies via your browser settings. Like most websites, if you turn your cookies off, some of our services may not function properly. However, you can still place orders by contacting customer service. Google Analytics We use Google Analytics on our sites for anonymous reporting of site usage and for advertising on the site. If you would like to opt-out of Google Analytics monitoring your behaviour on our sites please use this link (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/)

Do we disclose any information to outside parties?

We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety. However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.


The minimum information we need to register you is your name, email address and a password. We will ask you more questions for different services, including sales promotions. Unless we say otherwise, you have to answer all the registration questions. We may also ask some other, voluntary questions during registration for certain services (for example, professional networks) so we can gain a clearer understanding of who you are. This also allows us to personalise services for you. To assist us in our marketing, in addition to the data that you provide to us if you register, we may also obtain data from trusted third parties to help us understand what you might be interested in. This ‘profiling’ information is produced from a variety of sources, including publicly available data (such as the electoral roll) or from sources such as surveys and polls where you have given your permission for your data to be shared. You can choose not to have such data shared with the Guardian from these sources by logging into your account and changing the settings in the privacy section. After you have registered, and with your permission, we may send you emails we think may interest you. Newsletters may be personalised based on what you have been reading on theguardian.com. At any time you can decide not to receive these emails and will be able to ‘unsubscribe’. Logging in using social networking credentials If you log-in to our sites using a Facebook log-in, you are granting permission to Facebook to share your user details with us. This will include your name, email address, date of birth and location which will then be used to form a Guardian identity. You can also use your picture from Facebook as part of your profile. This will also allow us and Facebook to share your, networks, user ID and any other information you choose to share according to your Facebook account settings. If you remove the Guardian app from your Facebook settings, we will no longer have access to this information. If you log-in to our sites using a Google log-in, you grant permission to Google to share your user details with us. This will include your name, email address, date of birth, sex and location which we will then use to form a Guardian identity. You may use your picture from Google as part of your profile. This also allows us to share your networks, user ID and any other information you choose to share according to your Google account settings. If you remove the Guardian from your Google settings, we will no longer have access to this information. If you log-in to our sites using a twitter log-in, we receive your avatar (the small picture that appears next to your tweets) and twitter username.

Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance

We are in compliance with the requirements of COPPA (Childrens Online Privacy Protection Act), we do not collect any information from anyone under 13 years of age. Our website, products and services are all directed to people who are at least 13 years old or older.

Updating your personal information

We offer a ‘My details’ page (also known as Dashboard), where you can update your personal information at any time, and change your marketing preferences. You can get to this page from most pages on the site – simply click on the ‘My details’ link at the top of the screen when you are signed in.

Online Privacy Policy Only

This online privacy policy applies only to information collected through our website and not to information collected offline.

Your Consent

By using our site, you consent to our privacy policy.

Changes to our Privacy Policy

If we decide to change our privacy policy, we will post those changes on this page.
Save settings
Cookies settings