How to Renew Your American Passport Without Leaving Mexico
Save time and money by renewing your American passport through the local U.S. Consular Agency. Here is a guideline to get your process started.
It is important to realize this process may take up to 3-4 weeks, be aware of your passport’s expiry date.
Quick Steps to Renew Your Passport
- Make an appointment with the U.S. Consular Agency in Playa del Carmen by phone or email. Include the service you require, your contact information and preferred appointment time.
- Be sure to complete your application before your appointment, including your social security number and a local Mexican address.
The permanent address field on page 2, may contain an address in the U.S. if you have one, or “same as mailing” if it is the local address listed above.
- If there is a line item that does not apply to your case, please fill in the space with N/A so that it is evident to the adjudicating officer that you read the question and decided it did not apply.
- Obtain the correct size photo, which is 5cm X 5cm, in color, front-facing, with a white background.
- Purchase a FedEx or UPS Kit Consulado.
In Playa del Carmen, you may go to the FedEx office located at Ave 12 bis con Ave 20 Norte. Or you may also use the prepaid label from UPS office which is located at Calle 45 and Juarez.
If you choose to get this service from UPS, you will need to provide the zip code for Merida, which is 97050, in the sender’s information.
- In the receiver’s information field, please provide the local address in Mexico where you would like to receive your U.S. passport.
- For your Consulate appointment arrive prepared with your fee payment, which can be made in USD, Mexican Pesos, or with most major Credit Cards. If you are paying in cash, it is greatly appreciated if you can provide exact change.
- If your complete application package has been accepted by the Consulate office, it will be sent to the supervisory post of the U.S. Consulate General in Merida for adjudication, and once it is approved, it will be electronically forwarded to the United States for further processing.
- In most cases total processing time is 3-4 weeks, so we recommend that you plan your travels accordingly.
Standard Adult Renewal Application Checklist
- DS 82 – Application for Renewal for Eligible Individuals (Attached; filled out and signed before appointment) DS-82 – US Department of State
- One US Size Passport Photo (5cm X 5cm, color, front-facing w/ white background)
- Most Recent U.S. Passport and a copy of the photo page
- Passport Fee – $110 USD and if US Passport Card is also desired an additional $30 USD
- Prepaid FedEx envelope and a label with tracking number. FedEx may require customers to pick-up the package at their nearest FedEx location if your address is too remote.
- Prepaid waybill with the envelope, request the Kit Consulado.
In Playa del Carmen you may make an appointment with The U.S. Consulate by calling the office at 999-942-5700 or emailing them at ConAgencyPlayadelC@state.gov.
The office is located in Plaza Progreso, Local 33 Carretera Federal Puerto Juarez-Chetumal, Mz. 293 Lt. 1. Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo C.P. 77710.
The U.S. Consular Agency in Playa del Carmen is open for business Monday through Friday, from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm. Please make an appointment by calling the office phone during normal office hours or send an email to: ConAgencyPlayadelC@state.gov containing information about the service you require, your contact information and a preferred time for your appointment within normal office hours. Emergency cases are accepted as walk-ins.
You may also renew your American passport in the Cancun or the Merida U.S. Consulate Office or most major cities in Mexico.
The American Consulate provides passport services and notarization services for a fee.
They also provide assistance in emergency situations, such as arrests, assaults, and missing or deceased Americans.
The US Consulate does not process visas or deal with the immigration process, contact an Immigration specialist to process your visa or immigration to Mexico.