(855) 851-5000






Common Questions About Mexican Family Law

If you are a foreigner and married, living common-law or raising a family in Mexico, you should understand the family laws you may face here. Find out how the laws and procedures may differ from Canadian and American family law.

Here are some of the most common questions foreigners have about family law in Mexico.

How are the family assets divided in Mexico during a divorce?

Typically the division of assets is 50/50, but it is important to note that the judge basis the division only on the assets that were acquired by the couple during the marriage, no matter which person brought home the wage.

Any assets gained during the marriage makeup what is called by Mexican law, Sociedad conyugal and will be the assets which are divided by the judge during a divorce.

Any assets that were acquired before the marriage are not included in the division.

What happens if the couple owns a business in Mexico and they can not continue to operate the business together?

If the business is owned by a company in which the couple are partners, they may proceed according to the statutes and clauses of the company’s liquidation.

One spouse may buy the other out of the company, including their share of assets and company shares. If the couple can not agree on the division of the company a judge shall determine the liquidation of the company.

Does Mexico recognize prenuptial agreements?

Yes, in México a prenuptial agreement is called capitulaciones matrimoniales.

Is there such a thing as Common Law Marriage in Mexico?

Yes, after living together for two years consecutively in Quintana Roo a couple is considered common law known as, concubinato.

If the couple have children together the two years living together is not necessary to be considered common law.

If a child of foreign parents is born in Mexico, does the child automatically have Mexican citizenship?

Yes, no matter what nationality the parents are the child will be a Mexican citizen and may apply to have duel citizenship with the country his/her parents are from.

Divorce and children, how is child custody managed in Mexico?

The parent who takes care of the children will stay in the family home with the children. This does not mean this parent is the sole owner of the property; This is for the sole purpose of the protecting the children.

By law, custody of the children typically goes to the Mother, unless she is proven as a threat to the children or either physically or mentally unfit to raise the children.

The father will have visitation rights at least once a week, and the vacations will be divided equally between the parents.

The father may gain custody if the child is old enough to express his wish to live with the father.

Does Mexico have joint custody laws?

No, only one of the parents may have custody of the child. The other will only have visitation rights.

Is it affordable for parents to use the court system to resolve child custody issues?

Yes. It is relatively inexpensive in México. The court services are free, and the courts have lawyers who advise and assist parents at no cost.

If a Mexican and a foreigner couple are parents but not married, will either one have issues if the other parent passes away?

Once a child is recognized, the marital status of the parents does not affect custody of the children. By law, both parents have all the rights, obligations and responsibilities regardless of their marital status.

In the event a foreign parent passes away, is it possible for a foreign family member to take the child back to their country?

No, the living parent has full custody of the child, a relative may not intervene.

After a divorce is it possible for the foreigner to take the children back to his or her country to live permanently?

As in most countries, you will need permission from the other parent or permission from a judge. It is a crime for one parent to take their child to live in another state or country without the authorization from the other parent or a judge. If convicted the parent may be sentenced two to six years in prison. (art 171 bis código penal de Quintana Roo)

Which documents would the foreign parent need to legally take the child out of the country?

The child’s passport and birth certificate, but if the child is traveling alone they require a document from a notary or a judge with the authorization of the parents according to Article 49 of “Ley de migración.”

In Canada and the US we have child support payment laws, do these exist in Mexico?

Yes. Child support in México is known as pension alimenticia. In the case that the parent does not pay the support voluntarily, the judge may order garnishee of their paycheque. Or seize and sell their property.

Failure to pay child support may result in prison time of one to four years.

(art 167 código penal de Quintana Roo)

The child custody and support laws are very strict in Mexico, although it takes time as there is a lack of family courts and qualified personnel, in Quintana Roo.


We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policity
Cookies settings
Privacy & Cookie policy
Privacy & Cookies policy
Cookie name Active

Privacy Policy

What information do we collect?

We collect information from you when you register on our site or place an order. When ordering or registering on our site, as appropriate, you may be asked to enter your: name, e-mail address or mailing address.

What do we use your information for?

Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways: To personalize your experience (your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs) To improve our website (we continually strive to improve our website offerings based on the information and feedback we receive from you) To improve customer service (your information helps us to more effectively respond to your customer service requests and support needs) To process transactions Your information, whether public or private, will not be sold, exchanged, transferred, or given to any other company for any reason whatsoever, without your consent, other than for the express purpose of delivering the purchased product or service requested. To administer a contest, promotion, survey or other site feature To send periodic emails The email address you provide for order processing, will only be used to send you information and updates pertaining to your order.

How do we protect your information?

We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information when you place an order or enter, submit, or access your personal information. We offer the use of a secure server. All supplied sensitive/credit information is transmitted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology and then encrypted into our Payment gateway providers database only to be accessible by those authorized with special access rights to such systems, and are required to?keep the information confidential. After a transaction, your private information (credit cards, social security numbers, financials, etc.) will not be kept on file for more than 60 days.

Do we use cookies?

Yes (Cookies are small files that a site or its service provider transfers to your computers hard drive through your Web browser (if you allow) that enables the sites or service providers systems to recognize your browser and capture and remember certain information We use cookies to help us remember and process the items in your shopping cart, understand and save your preferences for future visits, keep track of advertisements and compile aggregate data about site traffic and site interaction so that we can offer better site experiences and tools in the future. We may contract with third-party service providers to assist us in better understanding our site visitors. These service providers are not permitted to use the information collected on our behalf except to help us conduct and improve our business. If you prefer, you can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off all cookies via your browser settings. Like most websites, if you turn your cookies off, some of our services may not function properly. However, you can still place orders by contacting customer service. Google Analytics We use Google Analytics on our sites for anonymous reporting of site usage and for advertising on the site. If you would like to opt-out of Google Analytics monitoring your behaviour on our sites please use this link (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/)

Do we disclose any information to outside parties?

We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety. However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.


The minimum information we need to register you is your name, email address and a password. We will ask you more questions for different services, including sales promotions. Unless we say otherwise, you have to answer all the registration questions. We may also ask some other, voluntary questions during registration for certain services (for example, professional networks) so we can gain a clearer understanding of who you are. This also allows us to personalise services for you. To assist us in our marketing, in addition to the data that you provide to us if you register, we may also obtain data from trusted third parties to help us understand what you might be interested in. This ‘profiling’ information is produced from a variety of sources, including publicly available data (such as the electoral roll) or from sources such as surveys and polls where you have given your permission for your data to be shared. You can choose not to have such data shared with the Guardian from these sources by logging into your account and changing the settings in the privacy section. After you have registered, and with your permission, we may send you emails we think may interest you. Newsletters may be personalised based on what you have been reading on theguardian.com. At any time you can decide not to receive these emails and will be able to ‘unsubscribe’. Logging in using social networking credentials If you log-in to our sites using a Facebook log-in, you are granting permission to Facebook to share your user details with us. This will include your name, email address, date of birth and location which will then be used to form a Guardian identity. You can also use your picture from Facebook as part of your profile. This will also allow us and Facebook to share your, networks, user ID and any other information you choose to share according to your Facebook account settings. If you remove the Guardian app from your Facebook settings, we will no longer have access to this information. If you log-in to our sites using a Google log-in, you grant permission to Google to share your user details with us. This will include your name, email address, date of birth, sex and location which we will then use to form a Guardian identity. You may use your picture from Google as part of your profile. This also allows us to share your networks, user ID and any other information you choose to share according to your Google account settings. If you remove the Guardian from your Google settings, we will no longer have access to this information. If you log-in to our sites using a twitter log-in, we receive your avatar (the small picture that appears next to your tweets) and twitter username.

Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance

We are in compliance with the requirements of COPPA (Childrens Online Privacy Protection Act), we do not collect any information from anyone under 13 years of age. Our website, products and services are all directed to people who are at least 13 years old or older.

Updating your personal information

We offer a ‘My details’ page (also known as Dashboard), where you can update your personal information at any time, and change your marketing preferences. You can get to this page from most pages on the site – simply click on the ‘My details’ link at the top of the screen when you are signed in.

Online Privacy Policy Only

This online privacy policy applies only to information collected through our website and not to information collected offline.

Your Consent

By using our site, you consent to our privacy policy.

Changes to our Privacy Policy

If we decide to change our privacy policy, we will post those changes on this page.
Save settings
Cookies settings