(855) 851-5000





MEXLAW > Immigration  > Qualify for a Temporary Residency Visa by Investing in Mexico

Qualify for a Temporary Residency Visa by Investing in Mexico

Expats looking to invest in business or purchase property in Mexico will want to have their residence visa in order. Typically you will provide documents proving your income and show that you can support yourself while living in Mexico, but if you are an investor or own real estate in Mexico you may already qualify for a Temporary Residency Visa.

Temporary Residency Visa

This visa is designed for foreigners who intend to stay in the country for more than 180 days and up to four years. The temporary resident card will only be granted for one year. After the first year, temporary residents can apply for one, two or three years renewal of the temporary resident card.

Depending on the category you wish to apply under you will submit the following information. Check with the consulate in the state you plan to apply in as the exact dollar amount may be different from state to state and fluctuate with the exchange.

  • Real Estate Owner in Mexico:
    • Original and copy of Deed executed before a notary public attesting that the foreign person owns property with a value in excess of $227,000 CD/$174,000 USD.


  • As an Investor:
    •  Documentation of the Mexican entity executed before a Notary Public, or document duly certified stating that foreign person participates in the capital of the Mexican corporation. Also provide proof that the investment amount exceeds $113,500 CD/ $90,000 USD which may be furnished by contract for the sale of stocks or shares, property or rights for the Mexican entity or document certifying the latter amount contributed by way of participation in the share capital, original and copy issued; or
    •  A document certifying the ownership of chattels for the foreign legal entity, with a value in excess of $ 113,500 CD/$90,000 USD, in original and copy; or
    •  Documents which support the development of economic or business activities in Mexico, which may be credited, declarative but not limited to, contracts, service orders, invoices, receipts, business plans, licenses or permits. Also provide a certificate issued by the Mexican Social Security Institute stating that the foreign person’s employer has at least five workers, original and copy.

If you do not wish to have investments in Mexico you may apply under:

  • Financial Solvency:
    • Provide the original and copy of proof of investments or bank accounts statements showing an average monthly balance of $32,000.00 Canadian dollars/ $25,000 USD during the last twelve months;


Provide the original and copies of documents proving employment or pension tax- free with a monthly income by an amount greater than $1,900.00 Canadian dollars/$1,500 USD during the past six months.

Photo: Agency

The Application Process is completed in two steps:

The process begins with an interview at a Mexican Consulate outside of Mexico and finalized in Mexico by doing something called canje (exchange) at the INM (Instituto Nacional de Migración)

Total time of this procedure is approximately three months in the Riviera Maya; other states may have a different wait time.


  • Printed application visa form, on both sides, duly completed and signed.
  • Passport or identity card and valid and current trip, original and copy of the page where the photo and personal data appears.
  • A small photograph with unveiled face, without glasses, front, colored with white background.
  • Payment of fees in cash for the issuance of visa.

Exchange (CANJE)

  • Original and copy of passport
  • Original and copy of visa
  • Proof of address
  • Two front and one right profile photos ( 2.5×3.0 cm, white background, uncovered forehead, no earrings, no necklaces, without smiling)

Benefits of Temporary Residency:

  • Temporary Residency allows the holder to get a registration number called CURP    ( Clave Unica de Registro de Poblacion).  CURP holders are permitted to open bank accounts, legally register a car, possibly avoid paying capital gains tax on the future sale of a Mexican home, plus other benefits.

Important to Know:

While your visa is in process and you enter Mexico with pre-authorized visa, you need to remain in the country for a minimum seven business days before requesting permission to travel. Leaving without permission will cancel your visa.

If you have questions about Immigrating to Mexico, contact vela.a@mexlaw.ca

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policity
Cookies settings
Privacy & Cookie policy
Privacy & Cookies policy
Cookie name Active

Privacy Policy

What information do we collect?

We collect information from you when you register on our site or place an order. When ordering or registering on our site, as appropriate, you may be asked to enter your: name, e-mail address or mailing address.

What do we use your information for?

Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways: To personalize your experience (your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs) To improve our website (we continually strive to improve our website offerings based on the information and feedback we receive from you) To improve customer service (your information helps us to more effectively respond to your customer service requests and support needs) To process transactions Your information, whether public or private, will not be sold, exchanged, transferred, or given to any other company for any reason whatsoever, without your consent, other than for the express purpose of delivering the purchased product or service requested. To administer a contest, promotion, survey or other site feature To send periodic emails The email address you provide for order processing, will only be used to send you information and updates pertaining to your order.

How do we protect your information?

We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information when you place an order or enter, submit, or access your personal information. We offer the use of a secure server. All supplied sensitive/credit information is transmitted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology and then encrypted into our Payment gateway providers database only to be accessible by those authorized with special access rights to such systems, and are required to?keep the information confidential. After a transaction, your private information (credit cards, social security numbers, financials, etc.) will not be kept on file for more than 60 days.

Do we use cookies?

Yes (Cookies are small files that a site or its service provider transfers to your computers hard drive through your Web browser (if you allow) that enables the sites or service providers systems to recognize your browser and capture and remember certain information We use cookies to help us remember and process the items in your shopping cart, understand and save your preferences for future visits, keep track of advertisements and compile aggregate data about site traffic and site interaction so that we can offer better site experiences and tools in the future. We may contract with third-party service providers to assist us in better understanding our site visitors. These service providers are not permitted to use the information collected on our behalf except to help us conduct and improve our business. If you prefer, you can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off all cookies via your browser settings. Like most websites, if you turn your cookies off, some of our services may not function properly. However, you can still place orders by contacting customer service. Google Analytics We use Google Analytics on our sites for anonymous reporting of site usage and for advertising on the site. If you would like to opt-out of Google Analytics monitoring your behaviour on our sites please use this link (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/)

Do we disclose any information to outside parties?

We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety. However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.


The minimum information we need to register you is your name, email address and a password. We will ask you more questions for different services, including sales promotions. Unless we say otherwise, you have to answer all the registration questions. We may also ask some other, voluntary questions during registration for certain services (for example, professional networks) so we can gain a clearer understanding of who you are. This also allows us to personalise services for you. To assist us in our marketing, in addition to the data that you provide to us if you register, we may also obtain data from trusted third parties to help us understand what you might be interested in. This ‘profiling’ information is produced from a variety of sources, including publicly available data (such as the electoral roll) or from sources such as surveys and polls where you have given your permission for your data to be shared. You can choose not to have such data shared with the Guardian from these sources by logging into your account and changing the settings in the privacy section. After you have registered, and with your permission, we may send you emails we think may interest you. Newsletters may be personalised based on what you have been reading on theguardian.com. At any time you can decide not to receive these emails and will be able to ‘unsubscribe’. Logging in using social networking credentials If you log-in to our sites using a Facebook log-in, you are granting permission to Facebook to share your user details with us. This will include your name, email address, date of birth and location which will then be used to form a Guardian identity. You can also use your picture from Facebook as part of your profile. This will also allow us and Facebook to share your, networks, user ID and any other information you choose to share according to your Facebook account settings. If you remove the Guardian app from your Facebook settings, we will no longer have access to this information. If you log-in to our sites using a Google log-in, you grant permission to Google to share your user details with us. This will include your name, email address, date of birth, sex and location which we will then use to form a Guardian identity. You may use your picture from Google as part of your profile. This also allows us to share your networks, user ID and any other information you choose to share according to your Google account settings. If you remove the Guardian from your Google settings, we will no longer have access to this information. If you log-in to our sites using a twitter log-in, we receive your avatar (the small picture that appears next to your tweets) and twitter username.

Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance

We are in compliance with the requirements of COPPA (Childrens Online Privacy Protection Act), we do not collect any information from anyone under 13 years of age. Our website, products and services are all directed to people who are at least 13 years old or older.

Updating your personal information

We offer a ‘My details’ page (also known as Dashboard), where you can update your personal information at any time, and change your marketing preferences. You can get to this page from most pages on the site – simply click on the ‘My details’ link at the top of the screen when you are signed in.

Online Privacy Policy Only

This online privacy policy applies only to information collected through our website and not to information collected offline.

Your Consent

By using our site, you consent to our privacy policy.

Changes to our Privacy Policy

If we decide to change our privacy policy, we will post those changes on this page.
Save settings
Cookies settings