(855) 851-5000






10 Things You Need to Know About Your Temporary Visa in Mexico

The Immigration Specialist at MEXLAW shares some important facts to keep in mind, during and after your immigration process.

  1. Temporary Resident Visa is intended for people who wish to reside in Mexico for more than 180 days but not longer than four years.  The visa is approved for one year, and renewed for 1 to 3 years. After four years maximum, you must apply for a Permanent Residence Visa if you wish to stay in Mexico.
  2. Once you have been approved for your Temporary Residence Visa you will present the sticker in your passport to Immigration upon arrival in Mexico; it is crucial they do not stamp your passport as a tourist with 180 days. They will advise you to report to Immigration within 30 days of arrival in Mexico to complete the process.
  3. If you need to travel outside Mexico while your residency visa application is in process, it is important to apply for permission to leave Mexico at the INM office, or through an Immigration Specialist. It may take up to 7 days to issue a letter of exit/entry permit. Present this letter to immigration as you leave and when you return to Mexico. This letter allows you up to 60 days out of the country; your application may be put on hold until your return, but it will not be canceled.
  4. Once you have received your Temporary or Permanent Residence status, Never come back to Mexico as a tourist. If you return as a tourist, your Residence visa will be void.
  5. As a Temporary resident in Mexico you may exit and enter the country as you please, there is no requirement on how many months per year you reside in Mexico, however, if you plan on applying for Mexican Citizenship one day, you will need to prove you live in Mexico most of the year.
  6. In most cases you must leave Mexico to apply for Temporary Residence, some exceptions include being married to a Mexican citizen, or family ties to a Mexican citizen.
  7. As Temporary Resident you may apply for a work visa, as a Permanent residency holder, you can work in Mexico without applying for permission.
  8. In this computerized world, it is imperative your FMM documents are always filled in correctly if they differ from what is in the system you will have problems and delays at immigration.
  9. Remember to inform Immigration of any changes to your status, marriage, address, or employer.
  10. Immigration laws and procedures change frequently and are different from one state to the other; it is best to consult an Immigration Specialist for the most up to date information.

If you have any questions about the immigration process in Mexico, please contact our specialist  immigration@mexlaw.com.mx