(855) 851-5000





MEXLAW > Insurance  > The Basics of Condo Insurance for Expats Investing in Mexican Real Estate

The Basics of Condo Insurance for Expats Investing in Mexican Real Estate

Whether you are buying property in Mexico as a home or an investment, you have already discovered the high investment potential of Mexican real estate and will want to protect it.

Some expats have put every cent they have into their new dream home and are looking forward to retiring in the warm weather. There are also expats who think of it as a business, buying one or more vacation rentals that create revenue while they are back home. As a property owner anywhere you need to purchase homeowners insurance to protect your investment, Mexico is no different.

One difficulty expats experience is finding an insurance company that covers your investment in the same manner which expats have come to know back in the US or Canada. Finding a company you can rely on and trust, and knowing that if your investment is threatened, they will back you up, is key when determining who to use.

Find a company that provides equal service as American or Canadian companies, who are located and licensed to sell insurance in Mexico. Some Mexican companies may not offer you the same protection. Know your options; there are many choices for home insurance in Mexico, and many companies from the US or Canada offer homeowner policies on Mexican homes. They may offer a better price and more coverage.

HOA Policy

When investing in a condominium, review the condo association’s commercial policy. The policy will typically cover the complex structure, common areas, and swimming pool. They do not cover your unit or your belongings. Read the fine print regarding what is included in the complex´s policy and what is your responsibility to cover. Do not assume you are protected by the complex´s policy. For instance, if your bathroom leaks into another suite you will be responsible. It is important to purchase insurance to complement the complex’s insurance policy.

Rental Insurance

If your Mexican home will be used as a rental long-term or even occasionally, make sure you have rental insurance. Renting out your condo while you are back home is a great way to offset costs and gain revenue, but one accident could cost you your home. Protect yourself from liability. Should a tenant be injured on your property you may be liable for their medical expenses plus lost wages. If you rely on your rental property income, you may want to include a “loss of use” risk in your policy.

The “loss of use” coverage can be broken down into two categories. One is “loss of rental income” if you are claiming loss of revenue due to damage you will have to provide proof that the property would have been rented out during this time. An example of evidence of loss would be a long-term rental agreement or reservations through a website such as Airbnb. Or the properties previous rental history, for instance, loss of use during high season.

The second category of “loss of use” would be extra living expenses, if the owners themselves cannot live in their home, they will be reimbursed including hotel and other costs.

Earthquake and Hurricane Coverage

Expats investing in property along the Caribbean or the Pacific Coast should consider hurricane insurance, in the past, this feature was regarded as an expensive add-on, but many companies are making hurricane coverage more accessible.

In some areas of Mexico, earthquakes are quite common, depending on your location you may consider earthquake insurance. Although incidents causing extensive damage caused by earthquakes is rare, even a relatively minor earthquake will cause damage that is expensive to repair. Research the area to find out if you are at risk.

Home Contents, Personal Goods and Chattels

What does your policy cover as far as home contents?

Imagine you had to replace everything in your home, TVs, computers cameras and other electronics, furniture, clothing, bedding, kitchen wares, and jewelry. If you think about the things we accumulate over time, it would be costly to replace them all at once. Review the policy limits; you may require extra coverage for specific items.  Ensure you are covered for theft, water damage, and fire.

An inexpensive feature you will want to add to your policy is power surge coverage. Typically we think of a power surge protection for computers and electronics, but surge protection also protects your air conditioner, washer and dryer, and other expensive appliances.

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policity
Cookies settings
Privacy & Cookie policy
Privacy & Cookies policy
Cookie name Active

Privacy Policy

What information do we collect?

We collect information from you when you register on our site or place an order. When ordering or registering on our site, as appropriate, you may be asked to enter your: name, e-mail address or mailing address.

What do we use your information for?

Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways: To personalize your experience (your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs) To improve our website (we continually strive to improve our website offerings based on the information and feedback we receive from you) To improve customer service (your information helps us to more effectively respond to your customer service requests and support needs) To process transactions Your information, whether public or private, will not be sold, exchanged, transferred, or given to any other company for any reason whatsoever, without your consent, other than for the express purpose of delivering the purchased product or service requested. To administer a contest, promotion, survey or other site feature To send periodic emails The email address you provide for order processing, will only be used to send you information and updates pertaining to your order.

How do we protect your information?

We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information when you place an order or enter, submit, or access your personal information. We offer the use of a secure server. All supplied sensitive/credit information is transmitted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology and then encrypted into our Payment gateway providers database only to be accessible by those authorized with special access rights to such systems, and are required to?keep the information confidential. After a transaction, your private information (credit cards, social security numbers, financials, etc.) will not be kept on file for more than 60 days.

Do we use cookies?

Yes (Cookies are small files that a site or its service provider transfers to your computers hard drive through your Web browser (if you allow) that enables the sites or service providers systems to recognize your browser and capture and remember certain information We use cookies to help us remember and process the items in your shopping cart, understand and save your preferences for future visits, keep track of advertisements and compile aggregate data about site traffic and site interaction so that we can offer better site experiences and tools in the future. We may contract with third-party service providers to assist us in better understanding our site visitors. These service providers are not permitted to use the information collected on our behalf except to help us conduct and improve our business. If you prefer, you can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off all cookies via your browser settings. Like most websites, if you turn your cookies off, some of our services may not function properly. However, you can still place orders by contacting customer service. Google Analytics We use Google Analytics on our sites for anonymous reporting of site usage and for advertising on the site. If you would like to opt-out of Google Analytics monitoring your behaviour on our sites please use this link (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/)

Do we disclose any information to outside parties?

We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety. However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.


The minimum information we need to register you is your name, email address and a password. We will ask you more questions for different services, including sales promotions. Unless we say otherwise, you have to answer all the registration questions. We may also ask some other, voluntary questions during registration for certain services (for example, professional networks) so we can gain a clearer understanding of who you are. This also allows us to personalise services for you. To assist us in our marketing, in addition to the data that you provide to us if you register, we may also obtain data from trusted third parties to help us understand what you might be interested in. This ‘profiling’ information is produced from a variety of sources, including publicly available data (such as the electoral roll) or from sources such as surveys and polls where you have given your permission for your data to be shared. You can choose not to have such data shared with the Guardian from these sources by logging into your account and changing the settings in the privacy section. After you have registered, and with your permission, we may send you emails we think may interest you. Newsletters may be personalised based on what you have been reading on theguardian.com. At any time you can decide not to receive these emails and will be able to ‘unsubscribe’. Logging in using social networking credentials If you log-in to our sites using a Facebook log-in, you are granting permission to Facebook to share your user details with us. This will include your name, email address, date of birth and location which will then be used to form a Guardian identity. You can also use your picture from Facebook as part of your profile. This will also allow us and Facebook to share your, networks, user ID and any other information you choose to share according to your Facebook account settings. If you remove the Guardian app from your Facebook settings, we will no longer have access to this information. If you log-in to our sites using a Google log-in, you grant permission to Google to share your user details with us. This will include your name, email address, date of birth, sex and location which we will then use to form a Guardian identity. You may use your picture from Google as part of your profile. This also allows us to share your networks, user ID and any other information you choose to share according to your Google account settings. If you remove the Guardian from your Google settings, we will no longer have access to this information. If you log-in to our sites using a twitter log-in, we receive your avatar (the small picture that appears next to your tweets) and twitter username.

Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance

We are in compliance with the requirements of COPPA (Childrens Online Privacy Protection Act), we do not collect any information from anyone under 13 years of age. Our website, products and services are all directed to people who are at least 13 years old or older.

Updating your personal information

We offer a ‘My details’ page (also known as Dashboard), where you can update your personal information at any time, and change your marketing preferences. You can get to this page from most pages on the site – simply click on the ‘My details’ link at the top of the screen when you are signed in.

Online Privacy Policy Only

This online privacy policy applies only to information collected through our website and not to information collected offline.

Your Consent

By using our site, you consent to our privacy policy.

Changes to our Privacy Policy

If we decide to change our privacy policy, we will post those changes on this page.
Save settings
Cookies settings